-Inspired-

By -DaN-
I attended a special session in my school today.
I chatted with a lovely lady who's having a chronic disease.
It's part of my University's course structure, that we are exposed to the practice of a pharmacist right beginning from Year one.

I'm in my very first year of Pharmacy course.
So far, I manage to cope with my academics.
However, my current knowledge in Medicine is poor.
Rest assured with the practice of medicine. There's still so much to learn.

Due to patient confidentiality, I am entrusted not to disclosed any information that I gathered in the session without the patient's consent.
It's a basic courtesy, and an ethical response to have the lady's personal issues confined within the four walls of the room.

Yet, I was inspired.

In academical lectures, I was taught about drugs, diseases, and the way of curing them.

Today I realized, we're not treating diseases.
We are treating our patients.
We are dealing with human individuals.
Our ultimate goal is to improve the quality of life of individuals, of humanity.

There should be an element of care, love and kindness in our practice.
Not sitting at the counter, dispensing drugs, and counting our wages behind.
We act out of empathy, not as a mundane routine in our daily job.

After the chat, my problems seem insignificant now.
There are so many out there that need our help, and more importantly, that we're capable of helping.

So why do I study Pharmacy?
No, It is not because of my interest in Biology and Chemistry.
And no, it is also not because of the prestigious degree, nor the reputable career.

It's just, I would like to learn, so that I have the ability to help as a professional.
To love and to care.
To live, how a humane individual, having the blessings to be borned as a human in this impermanent world, should live.

May I grow in wisdom.
And may blessings and happiness be with the lovely lady.
 

4 comments so far.

  1. JH December 7, 2009 at 1:37 PM
    i am inspired by you lah..papa~
  2. Pinkie123 December 7, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    Yeah..me too. today i was so inspired by 2012 and your post. haha. May all of us always have this in our heart. Our family,our relatives, our previous beloved teachers and lecturers, our country citizens, they are hoping our return to make a better world for tomorrow.
  3. -DaN- December 7, 2009 at 2:41 PM
    I find 2012 inspiring too!
    It was frightening initially, and I started thinking of a lot of ''What ifs''.
    What if the world's really going to end that soon?
    What if it happens, where would I be? Etc.
    Then I know, I have to live in the present, starting right now.

    I wrote this post is to pen down my inspiration, as I hope it is instilled in my mind as long as it can be.
  4. Unknown January 23, 2015 at 12:53 AM
    take a step back and think why you study pharmacy today

Something to say?