-One Puppie, Ten Promises-

By -DaN-
As you might have already known, there's a new member being introduced into the family recently. And it's no other than a pet dog indeed! And I'm sure you had realized, there were 3 of them and we're only able to keep one of them due to some constrains. So, just in case u are not up to date, puppy 3's the one who we kept and named NiuNiu/NeoNiu. To find out the exact pronunciation, do not hesitate to call 017-2923xxx. :D

Okay. moving on. puppy 1 and 2 were placed at my family friends' house. Though NiuNiu's fine and fit now, puppy 2 suffered a different fate. Named Happie, he was out of the owner's house gate one night, and... he's bitten to death by some larger stray dogs. *SHOCKING?* yes indeed. He used to be the most active among his 3 brothers, and my elder bro said he looked like Bolt.




I was in grief and prayed that he shall not be reborn as a dog again. There's only one law in the animal kingdom out there: ''The strong shall survive, and the weak shall perish''. I do hope he'll be reborn as human, in a family, and having the blessings to learn the Buddha Dhamma.

Realizing that Happie's death is out of my control, then something struck my mind. Had I been taking care of NiuNiu good enough? Had I done all I could for the welfare of this new family member? I tried, but perhaps, not to the fullest.

Then I thought of one show that I watched in Dong Zen Temple this Chinese new year, 10 Promises to My Dog. Featuring a girl who made 10 promises to her Golden retriever. A moving, touching show good to be watched.
Behold the 10 Promises (the dog being the first person point of view) :

1. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

2. Place your trust in me. It’s crucial to my well-being.
3. Be aware that however you treat me I’ll never forget it.
4. Before you scold me for being lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me.

5. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don’t understand your words, I do understand your voice when it’s speaking to me.

6. Remember before you hit me, I have teeth that could hurt you, but that I choose not to bite you.

7. Take care of me when I get old.

8. You have your work, your entertainment, and your friends. I have only you.

9. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be painful for me.

10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember I love you...

I realized most probably I'll fly to UK on September, and my presence with NiuNiu shall be minimum. Despite all this, whenever there's a chance, I'll try my very best to take care of him. To those owning a dog, take good care of them alright! Cheers.

Photos of NiuNiu =)

 

5 comments so far.

  1. g_yean_i June 2, 2009 at 11:11 AM
    i LOVE that movie!! it's super touching and there's so much to be learned from that movie.. i'm sure you'll be a good owner since you claim yourself to be kind, right? hehe.. just let him sniff you more often la, let him remember how your smell is like, let him remember you.. hehe..
  2. XtasyM June 3, 2009 at 12:35 AM
    人生无常,狗生亦如此 :)

    Hey... where u get those neoneu photos??? Send me~
  3. siewleng June 4, 2009 at 4:19 PM
    sad...why in dogs' world also got Gangsterism!

    Rest In Peace, Happie..
  4. g_yean_i August 6, 2009 at 9:31 PM
    I miss niuniu~ =)
  5. Corrinne The Great August 17, 2009 at 6:33 AM
    ohmy goodness.. your dog looks like my dog when he was a pup!!!
    =D

Something to say?